1 year, 1 month & 29 days
or 13 months & 29 days
or 60 weeks & 5 days
or quite simply
This is how long it has been since SOLAS VGM came into effect on the 1st of July 2016.. For those of you who may not be aware what SOLAS VGM is, here is a quick refresher..
As of the 1st of July 2016, the International Maritime Organisation (IMO)’s amended SOLAS (Safety of Life At Sea convention) Chapter VI Regulation 2 came into effect.. As per this regulation, all containers needed to be weighed according to the SOLAS VGM (Verified Gross Mass) guidelines before being loaded onto a ship..
I even created an infographic explaining the reason and requirements of the SOLAS VGM which you can view here..
Now that it has been 425 days since the implementation of the SOLAS VGM requirement, I am keen to find out from you, HOW HAS IT BEEN..??
- If you are a shipping line – has this regulation helped you at all in curtailing the container weight misdeclaration..??
- If you are a shipper – has this regulation created any hassles for you in terms of additional administration or has it been smooth sailing..??
- If you are a logistics service provider or a freight forwarder – have your customers been co-operative in helping you implement this regulation..??
- If you are a weighbridge operator – has your business boomed because of this regulation..??
- If you are a transporter – has it been a smooth operation for you or did this regulation increase your workload..??
- If you are from a port or container terminal – has this regulation caused any delays for you..??
Would be interesting to hear everyone’s views on this.. So please comment below..