As you may be aware, in November 2014 the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) amended SOLAS (Safety of Life At Sea convention) Chapter VI Regulation 2 to tighten up the process of weighing containerised cargoes and declaring the correct weights after verification..
Since then there have been several documents and notices in circulation relating to the new container weight verification regulation which is expected to come into effect from July 2016..
But a lot of people don’t really understand how it will all work and what SOLAS is and what this regulation means to the day to day shipping industry..
Hence I decided to do an infographic that gives a pictorial depiction of
- What is Container Weight Verification and how this verification process is expected to work
- Why is this so IMPORTANT
- How it is about to affect day to day shipping but at the same time make shipping safer for everyone
What do you think about this new regulation..?? Will it work as expected..?? Pls share your views..
- International Maritime Organisation
- Container weight misdeclaration archives from Shipping and Freight Resource
- Download FAQs and answers compiled by industry experts from WSC, the TT Club, ICHCA by clicking on the links